TIPS FOR AN EFFECTIVE WEBSITE
HOW TO START?
- PURCHASE A DOMAIN NAME
What is a domain name?
- The domain name is the URL address associated with your website (www.yourcompany.com)
- You can purchase a domain name for 1 year or more. Prices range from $9 to $15 per year depending on the extension (.ca, .com. , .org, .biz, etc..)
- Your domain name(s) should be as short as possible.
- Search engines and visitors can interact with your website more effectively when you use URLs that describe the pages content (for example: http://www.company.com/about-yourcompany).
- URLs are extremely vital to your SEO campaign. Be sure to use URLs that make it easy for Google to find.
Suggestion: Visit https://www.webnames.ca/domain-registration/search/ to see if the domain you want is available.
In order to publish a website online, you need a Web host. The Web host stores all the pages of your website and makes them available to computers connected to the Internet. YOUR domain name, such as "yourcompany.com," is actually linked to an IP address that points to a specific computer. When somebody enters your domain name into their browser's address field, the IP address is located and Web site is loaded from your Web host.
PLAN / BUILD YOUR WEBSITE
Once you have a domain name and hosting, you need to start planning your website.
Your website will be your “Storefront” and will represent your business online.
Companies should have at least the following pages.
- HOME PAGE (Landing page) with important information / news / social media links, etc..
- ABOUT PAGE – A webpage with a detailed description about your company
- PRODUCTS/SERVICES – Information about the products or services your company offers.
- CONTACT PAGE – A webpage with contact information (Address, phone number, email )
- BLOG (optional)
And remember to have your contact information also available on the top of every page “Header”
MAKE YOUR WEBSITE EASY TO FIND
- The most effective page titles are about 10-70 characters long, including spaces.
- Keep your titles concise and make sure they contain your best keywords.
- Each page should have its own exclusive title.
- For optimum effectiveness, meta descriptions should be 70-160 characters long.
- Your meta descriptions should be concise and contain your best keywords.
Make sure each page of your website has its own meta description.
- Meta keywords are words or phrases that pertain to your site's content. Make you’re your keywords describe your business, products and services, and location if necessary.
- Use good quality images and make sure they have an “ALT text”
- ALT text attaches a description to your pictures so that they show up in Google™ and other search engine's image results.
An XML sitemap lists URLs that can be crawled and may offer other information such as how often you update, when your last update occurred and importance. With an XML sitemap, search engines can index your website more accurately.
Google™ Analytics is monitoring your website. This is a great tool and should be taking advantage of.
Link your website with your Social Media Profiles and improve your ONLINE PRESENCE…